Saturday 25 July 2009

Daunted

Yesterday I went to an art show in Islington, I was promised vast arrays of materials and art supplies, but when I turned up it was filled with little old ladies ogling over bearded men doing watercolour demonstrations. Once I got over the sea of OAP's, I discovered a man doing sea-scapes in oils. Picked up several tips for my painting.
So today I started the mural that i've been commissioned to paint at Starbucks.
Here is the ugly white wall before I started:
Got set up with my pencils and drew out a rough sketch to work from before I started working in colour. I hate this bit, everything always looks terrible at the beginning, and I always feel a bit daunted when I have a large area to paint. So I put in the base colours with a large brush. Had a little panic when I discovered that i'd forgotten to buy black paint, but seemed to make do with dark blue for today.
I probably got as much paint on the floor as the walls, but for several hours work it seems to be looking okay so far.
My arms are aching. Updates tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment